Questionnaire is one of the techniques of data collection in social research. First, appropriate questions are prepared and then they are processed into a document that is distributed to appropriately selected respondents (i.e. a random sample).
For the questionnaire following characteristics apply:
- It is a highly effective technique
- Allows in short time to get information from a large number of respondents
- Costs tend to be small
- Anonymity of respondents is high and convincing
- High requirements on the willingness of the respondent
- The respondent is easy to skip questions
- There is no guarantee that the respondent completed the questionnaire himself
- The return is low, so the sample is not representative
Overall, this is a very inexpensive technique of survey, which, however, poses problems with the representativeness of the sample.
The questionnaire is also used by interviewer in Pen and Paper interview, but fills it himself based on the respondent’s answers.