P3O ® (Portfolio, Programme and Project Offices) is a methodology owned and published by the UK Cabinet Office (ex OGC). It is a set of principles, processes and techniques intended to facilitate the management of a project, a program and the project management portfolio. It has been aligned to correspond with other methodologies issued by the Cabinet Office - PRINCE2, MSP, and M_o_R.
P3O methodology in practice: The aim of P3O is to provide a practical guide that enables organizations to successfully establish, develop and maintain processes and management structures (Portfolio, Program and Project Office) which will then allow:
- the senior management of the organization to implement strategic support, prioritization, risk management, resource optimization and to reach strategic goals (see Project Portfolio Management)
- to identify and implement outputs of the organization with the help of programs
- to successfully complete projects in time, adhering to costs limitations and quality standards.
Related terms and methods:
- CMM (Capability Maturity Model)
- Management Maturity
- MoP ® (Management of Portfolios)
- MoV ® (Management of Value)
- P3M3 ® (The Portfolio, Programme, and Project Management Maturity Model)
- MSP ® (Managing Successful Programmes)
- M_o_R ® (Management of Risk)
- Portfolio Management
- PRINCE2 (PRojects IN Controlled Environment)
- Program (in Project Management)
- Project Office
- Project Portfolio
- Project Portfolio Management
Related management fields:
Note: P3O® is a registered trademark of the UK Cabinet Office.