- Concern for production (results)
- Concern for people
Each dimension (axis) has nine levels.
Typical styles of management/leadership according the grid are:
- 1.1 - “Impoverished” - minimum management/leadership and minimum requirements for the task
- 1.9 - “Country club” - high concern on people and interpersonal relationships, minimum focus on the task
- 5.5 - “Middle-of-the-road” - medium level of focus on relationships and focus on the task satisfactorily
- 9.1 - “Produce or Perish” - the minimum respect for people, high requirements for the task
- 9.9 - “Team” - the highest concern on people and relationships and also highest concern on the task
Originally, the variant 9.9 was considered to be the best style, but later a view prevailed that for different types of organizations and tasks are suitable different variants.
Related terms and methods:
Related management field: