ISO 14001 is a designation for standard for environmental management in the organization. ISO 14001 is part of a family of ISO 14000 and is part of the international standards issued by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO).
ISO 14001 is the world’s most recognized and used for environmental management systems. This standard requires the organization to identify all environmental impacts and related aspects of its business. In addition, it defines the objectives of environment and introduces measures to improve performance through process improvement in areas of high priority. The main elements of this standard are:
- Environmental policy
- Implementation and operation
- Control and corrective action
- Management review
Use of the ISO 14001 in practice: ISO 14001 is intended for the organization of private and public sector, regardless of their size or location. It specifies requirements for an environmental management system. It is used in the certification to an independent assessment of the organization’s ability to establish and maintain procedures to identify environmental aspects of its activities, services and products and compliance with legal or other requirements. ISO 14001 helps an organization implement best practices for proactive management of activities on the environment.
Current revised version is called ISO 14001:2004.
Other important standards for process management in the organization are:
- SA 8000
- ISO 9001 Quality management systems - Quality Management system
- ISO/TS 10004:2010 - Quality management system - customer satisfaction - Guidelines for monitoring and measurement
- ISO 10006 Quality management systems - Guidelines for quality management in projects
- ISO 13485 - Quality Management Systems - Medical Devices - Requirements for regulatory purposes
- ISO 16949 - Quality management system for automotive production and relevant service part organization
- ISO 17799 Information technology – Security techniques - Information Security Management System
- ISO 21500 Project Management - Guidance on project management
- ISO 26000 - Guidance on social responsibility
- ISO 27000 - Information security management systems
- ISO 31000 - Risk management Principles and Guidelines
- ISO 19439 - Enterprise integration - Framework for enterprise modelling
- OHSAS 18001 - Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Series