Internet is a global computer network, or tens of thousands of individual networks that are interconnected and enable operation of the entire range of services. In practice, the term Internet is often narrowly used only to refer to websites, but this is only one of the services that use the Internet (or the Internet allows them). Internet can be used by computers or by using a wide range of mobile devices. Example of services that the Internet enables, are:
- www (world wide web) is one of the obscure services operating via the internet - they are websites that visitors can browse through a web browser
- e-mail is electronic mail used for sending messages from one e-mail address to another
- Sharing, transfer and data exchange - direct exchange of data between applications or enterprise information systems
- Instant messaging - online (direct, live) communication between users
- Making phone calls and video conferencing via the Internet - VoIP and more
Use of the Internet in practice: Internet is used commonly for the last 20 years for faster communication between organizations and in trade. It allows greater flexibility in terms of time and location and its use significantly accelerated the work of enterprises and entrepreneurs. CIO is the main responsible person in the organization for the use of Internet services.