Infrastructure is a set of basic equipment that enables the operation of a system, such as a production hall, a business, an office, a state, a city, etc. As an infrastructure, we typically refer to:
- roads, bridges, tunnels, walkways (transport infrastructure)
- water pipes, waterworks, waste pipes (water supply infrastructure)
- wiring and electricity distribution network (electricity infrastructure)
- data transmission systems, wired and wireless data networks (telecommunication infrastructure)
- publicly accessible areas, buildings and other infrastructure (public infrastructure)
- computer networks, servers, and other IT equipment (IT infrastructure)
Therefore, all physical components interconnected in such a way, so that they allow the operation of a coherent system, are part of an infrastructure.