Forged identity documents are fake documents made illegally for the purpose of deceiving the holders of the genuine identity documents or other persons. It concerns especially passports, driver’s license, ID, and so on. Fabricating such a document is considered a crime.
What are the forged documents used for?
Fake or stolen identity documents are used for various criminal activities such as
- leasing frauds and fraudulent loans - the criminal concludes a loan agreement or a leasing contract using the forged document
- Illegal migration - false travel documents are used for illegal migration
- withdrawal from a bank account - the criminal uses the document to obtain funds from a bank account
- forging a sales contract - forged identity documents are used to forge a contract
What is considered forging of identity documents?
- counterfeit of the original document
- fabricating an imaginary identity document (one that have never existed)
- having stolen an identity document
- replacing the photo
- replacing a page
- replacing specific information (e.g. age or name)
How are the forged documents produced?
A forged document is most often the result of either theft of the original and its subsequent misappropriation, or the result of counterfeiting of the document using stolen data (from a computer, from a copy of the original document, etc.).
Identity documents as well as all the pieces of data that appear on them are considered ones of the most sensitive personal data - data such as name, surname, date of birth, permanent residence and document number, are a combination that an attacker or a forger can easily misuse. Therefore, it is important to protect your personal documents and to beware of making unauthorized copies - you never know if the copy will be secured enough and if an unauthorized person or an attacker cannot get it.