Gap Analysis was designed by Igor Ansoff. Gap Analysis consists of the following steps:
- Description of the current state
- Setting objectives (description of the target state)
- Determining the difference (gaps) between the current and target state
- Proposal of options to achieve the target state (an alternative strategy)
- Evaluation of options and selection of the most suitable one
- If necessary, the entire process is repeated until the target state is solved
Use of Gap Analysis in practice: This analytical technique is one of the decision making and problem solving methods. It is a simple methodology that is useful in situations where some strategies or changes are planned.