Global Eight Disciplines, usually the abbreviation G8D, 8D or 8D report is used. It is an analytical technique for solving an unexpected problem. It is a method that is used after the problem occurs, i.e. it is not a preventive method. G8D comes from the USA, where it was developed by Ford. Its roots are therefore in the automotive industry.
Use of G8D in practice: G8D method is suitable for situations where the problem needs to be resolved as quickly and efficiently as possible while protecting customers from unwanted consequences. The method consists of completing the questionnaire, called 8D report (8 Discipline Report) - hence its name. The questionnaire consists of eight parts, disciplines as follows:
- D0: The Planning (Preparation and Planning)
- D1: Use a Team - founding a team with appropriate knowledge
- D2: Define and describe the Problem - describing problem using 5W2H
- D3: Developing Interim Containment Plan Implement and verify Interim Actions - suggesting a way how to isolate customers from the problem
- D4: Determine and Identify and Verify Root Causes and escape points
- D5: Choose and verify Permanent Corrective Actions (PCAs) for root cause and Escape point
- D6: Implement and validate PCAs
- D7: Prevent recurrence
- D8: Congratulate your Team
Completing the questionnaire 8D Report may not be a formal matter, it is often not enough for one person, but must be completed by cooperating team of experts.