Attention is a term designating mental cognitive process allowing the focus the perception in a certain direction.
Attention therefore acts as selective stimuli filter entering consciousness (Donald Broadbent). Basic properties of attention are:
- Selectivity - the ability to focus in a particular direction
- Concentration - the ability to reduce the current number of psychic contents
- Distribution - the ability to divide in a certain extent, attention between several stimuli
- Capacity (Range) - the ability to handle only a certain number of stimuli
- Stability and fluctuation - the ability to alternate attention between multiple stimuli (volatilization of attention)
Practical use of attention: The ability to attract the attention of potential customers is crucial in marketing, promotion and advertising. For example, marketing method AIDA effectively works with the attention.