Assertiveness is a term that refers to the skill of healthy self-assertion, self-acceptance and self-discovery. The aim is to succeed without any unnecessary aggression, something clearly assert and stand up on my own. It is the promoting of my own interests, while respecting the interests of others.
Assertiveness includes especially the following skills:
- Rejecting without guilt
- Be able to face the pressure
- Not bear responsibility unnecessarily for something that can’t be controlled
- Adequately express pleasure
- Adequately express discomfort
- Be able to say I don’t know or can’t
- Knowing that everyone is entitled to a mistake
- Be able to change mind without guilt
Assertiveness is a learned skill obtained in special education or therapeutic courses. From the perspective of a number of jobs, assertive skills can be considered a useful part of competency for the position.